Undeterred by mounting evidence proving the dangers of fluoride, power, prestige, and paychecks continue to motivate fluoridationists.
Despite the fact that the prestigious international 2015 Cochrane panel, like the 2000 York panel, found the fluoridation literature to be of abysmally poor quality, at high risk of bias, and with no evidence of safety…
Despite the fact that those panels had low confidence in a very small dental benefit that translates to maybe some children, not all, having one fewer cavity during childhood…
Despite the fact that there is robust evidence that fluoridation worsens the symptoms of inflammatory diseases, disrupts thyroid function, endangers the health of kidney patients, accelerates destruction of water pipes and in so doing increases lead in the water, and is linked to increased learning disabilities…
Despite the fact that fluoridation is a false dilemma, that the only scientifically proved dental benefit is from topical use of fluoridated toothpastes, rinses, and varnishes and that any who still want to consume it can do so cheaply without fluoride being added to municipal water…
Despite all this, fluoridationists have mounted a marketing campaign to promote fluoridation mandates based on a hundred year old dental myth.
Incongruously, at the center of this scheme is the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Fluoridation is a profitable business for some, and over the years too much organizational prestige and too many paychecks have become inextricably linked with fluoridation promotion in the network of government regulatory agencies. Consequently, our tax dollars are being used to create marketing materials that incentivize states to fluoridate using Medicaid monies in a move that most harms the health of the very population Medicaid is supposed to serve. Lobbyists are presenting these materials to state politicians while public relations experts are planting pro-fluoridation articles in the press.
Fluoridationist organizations also have apparently created curriculum targeting college students that encourage students lobby for fluoridation based on the disinformation in marketing materials. Moreover, citation cartels are manufacturing fraudulent reports and studies that misrepresent both historical and scientific fact. These unprincipled papers are widely promoted by vested interests in popular press using biased language. They are aided by self-important bloggers with decidedly prejudiced points of view. Talk about anti-science and dishonest media.
This astroturfing effort is further supported by an organized troop of trolls who overwhelm social media with vitriol that dismisses arguments, denies science, denigrates opponents, distracts the public, and disrupts conversation about the real health risks of fluoridation policy to consumers.
1. Fluoridation is linked to preterm births and preeclampsia possibly due to “placental fluorosis”
2. Fluoridation depresses thyroid hormones, which in the fetuses of pregnant women, bottle-fed infants, and young children can result in permanent cognitive-behavioral deficits, i.e. it rewires the brain to cause learning disabilities
3. Fluoridated water can inflame rashes like eczema and psoriasis, making even bathing painful for the afflicted who include both the very young and the elderly
4. Fluoridation policy has caused permanent dental damage to approximately half our adolescents, with higher rates and worse severity among the poor and non-white populations. Many of these disfigured teeth will require veneers and crowns with age
5. Fluoride concentrations in the water have little relationship to dose which is determined by individual consumption over time based on age, size and health status
6. Fluoride is only partially excreted by kidneys. In a healthy adult, 50% of fluoride consumed is stored primarily in the bones where it replaces calcium. These bones become more brittle over the years. Fluoride also causes inflammation and the symptoms of arthritis. Retention is higher during childhood, old age, and periods of ill health
7. Fluoride is an enzyme poison that has profound impact on cellular function
8. Fluoridation chemicals are mostly corrosive, acidic, and contaminated waste products harvested from industry smokestacks. Despite any seals of approval from the NSF, a contracted service which tests a sample about once every 3 years, the contents in the bags of chemicals added to our water supplies every day are a witches’ brew of toxins that cause sinister chemical reactions when they come in contact with metal
9. Fluoridation policy has been rejected by EPA scientists since the 1980s as unsafe, although EPA management continues to allow the practice through legal doublespeak that only focuses on politically set contaminant threshold levels (MCL/MCLG)
10. Fluoride contaminant thresholds set by the EPA were found to be not protective of human health in 2006 by the National Research Council who also advised that at that time they could find no science that proved fluoride in drinking water was safe at any concentration. That panel of experts also stated that it was reasonable to anticipate adverse effects from fluoride consumption among vulnerable populations at much lower water concentrations. Those ill effects would include gastrointestinal disease, endocrine disorders, kidney damage, and skeletal deterioration. The EPA has failed to take action.
Fluoridation policy is politics pretending to be science. It protects corporate health not consumer health. Fluoridationists are motivated by power, prestige, and paychecks. They ignore actual science and the voices of thousands of dentists, doctors, toxicologists, research scientists, consumer advocates, environmentalists, and civil rights leaders who have concluded that although there may be benefit to brushing your teeth with the stuff if you have no medical contraindications, spit, don’t swallow.
A few expert quotes
Dentist: “If teeth are the only reason why you like fluoride, you better come up with a different reason. Fluoride hurts teeth, bones, brain, nerves, etc." - Michael Taras, DMD, FAGD (2015)
Doctor: “Right now we have 1 in 6 children in the U.S. with neurodevelopmental brain disease, including ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, low IQ and behavioral disorders, and 1 in 8 women who will develop thyroid disease. These two epidemics tell us that chemicals like fluoride and lead, both developmental neurotoxins and endocrine disruptors, have no place in our public water." - Angela Hind, MD (2015)
Toxicologist: “Fluoride is a carcinogen by any standard we use. I believe EPA should act immediately to protect the public, not just on the cancer data, but on the evidence of bone fractures, arthritis and mutagenicity and other effects.” - Dr. Wm. Marcus, EPA Senior Scientist (1998)
Researchers: “Consequently, although the World Health Organization continues to support F schemes for caries prevention despite a lack of scientific proof, the F schemes are not able to improve the crystal quality but rather contribute adversely to affect tooth development and increases the risk of developing postmenopausal osteoporosis.” - Mitsuo Kakei, Masayoshi Yoshikawa and Hiroyuki Mishima (2016)
Environmentalist: “Love Canal taught us the lesson that health, environment, and justice are inextricably linked. We oppose water fluoridation as it harms our health, it harms the environment, and is a textbook case of environmental justice harm affecting low income and families of color.” - Lois Gibbs, founder Center for Health, Environment & Justice, Nobel Peace Prize nominee (2015)
Contact your representatives at municipal, state and federal levels. Tell them that fluoridation is ethically and economically unsustainable. Begin by signing this petition to Congress and the Institute of Medicine demanding a review of modern science and a controversial 20 year old Food and Nutrition report. Follow up with a phone call to your representatives’ offices.
For evidence-based research on fluoride, visit the GreenMedInfo.com Research Dashboard.
- Follin-Arbelet B, Moum B, Scand J. Fluoride: a risk factor for inflammatory bowel disease? Gastroenterol. 2016 May 19:1-6. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27199224
- Martín-Pardillos A, Sosa C, Millán Á, Sorribas V. Effect of water fluoridation on the development of medial vascular calcification in uremic rats. Toxicology. 2014 Apr 6;318:40-50. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24561004
- Butler JE, Satam M, Ekstrand J. Fluoride: an adjuvant for mucosal and systemic immunity. Immunol Lett. 1990 Dec;26(3):217-220. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1707853
- Loftenius A, Andersson B, Butler J, Ekstrand J. Fluoride augments the mitogenic and antigenic response of human blood lymphocytes in vitro. Caries Res. 1999;33(2):148-155. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9892783
- Fluoride and the skin. Fluoride. January 1977. Vol.10:1. http://www.fluorideresearch.org/101/files/FJ1977_v10_n1_p001-044.pdf
- Spitttle B. Allergy and hypersensitivity to fluoride. Fluoride. 1993; Volume 26; Pages 267-273. http://fluoridealert.org/studies/spittle-1993/
- Zhang S, Zhang X, Liu H, et al. Modifying effect of COMT gene polymorphism and a predictive role for proteomics analysis in children’s intelligence in endemic fluorosis area in Tianjin, China. Toxicol Sci. 2015 Apr;144(2):238-245. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25556215
- Main D. Fluoridation may not prevent cavities, scientific review shows. Newsweek (Tech and Science). 29 June 2015. http://www.newsweek.com/fluoridation-may-not-prevent-cavities-huge-study-shows-348251
- National Research Council. Fluoride in drinking water: A scientific review of EPA's standards. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2006. http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11571
- Carton RJ. Review of 2006 USNRC report on fluoride in drinking water. Fluoride. 39(3)163-172. July-September 2006. http://www.fluorideresearch.org/393/files/FJ2006_v39_n3_p163-172.pd
- Diesendorf M. The mystery of declining tooth decay. Nature. 07/1986; 322(6075):125-129. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/19639179_The_Mystery_of_Declining_Tooth_Decay
- Gandhi D, Naoghare PK, Bafana A, Kannan K, Sivanesan S. Fluoride-induced oxidative and inflammatory stress in osteosarcoma cells: Does it affect bone development pathway? Biol Trace Elem Res. 2017 Jan;175(1):103-111. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27234253
- Kakei M, Yoshikawa M, Mishima H. Fluoride exposure may accelerate the osteoporotic change in postmenopausal women: Animal model of fluoride-induced osteoporosis. Adv Tech Biol Med. 2016, 4:1. http://www.esciencecentral.org/journals/fluoride-exposure-may-accelerate-the-osteoporotic-change-in-postmenopausal-women-animal-model-of-fluorideinduced-osteoporosis-2379-1764-1000170.pdf
- Pain G. Fluoride is a developmental nephrotoxin – coming to a kidney near you. Technical Report. Researchgate. January 2017. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313025968_Fluoride_is_a_developmental_Nephrotoxin_-_coming_to_a_Kidney_near_you
- Coplan MJ, Patch SC, Masters RD, Bachman MS. Confirmation of and explanations for elevated blood lead and other disorders in children exposed to water disinfection and fluoridation chemicals. Neurotoxicology. 2007 Sep;28(5):1032-1042. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17420053
- Maas RP, Patch SC, Christian AM, Coplan MJ. Effects of fluoridation and disinfection agent combinations on lead leaching from leaded-brass parts. Neurotoxicology. 2007 Sep;28(5):1023-31. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17697714
- Sawan RM, Leite GA, Saraiva MC, et al. Fluoride increases lead concentrations in whole blood and in calcified tissues from lead-exposed rats. Toxicology. 2010 Apr 30;271(1-2):21-26. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20188782
- Malin AJ, Till C. Exposure to fluoridated water and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder prevalence among children and adolescents in the United States: an ecological association. Environmental Health 2015;14:17. http://www.ehjournal.net/content/14/1/17/abstract
- Mullenix PJ. A new perspective on metals and other contaminants in fluoridation chemicals. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health. 2014 Apr-Jun;20(2):157-166. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24999851
- MacArthur JD. Placental fluorosis: Fluoride and preeclampsia. Townsend Lett. 2015;382:74-79. http://www.townsendletter.com/May2015/placental0515.html
- Gesser-Edelsburg A, Shir-Raz Y. Communicating risk for issues that involve ‘uncertainty bias’: What can the Israeli case of water fluoridation teach us? Journal of Risk Research. August 2016. Pages 1-22. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13669877.2016.1215343
- Gutowskaa I, Baranowska-Bosiackab I, Goschorskab M, et al. Fluoride as a factor initiating and potentiating inflammation in THP1 differentiated monocytes/macrophages. Toxicology in Vitro. Volume 29, Issue 7, October 2015, Pages 1661-1668. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0887233315001605
- Calgary fluoride study fatally flawed; Key data omitted. Fluoride Action Network. 25 Feb 2016. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/calgary-fluoride-study-fatally-flawed-key-data-omitted-300226151.html
- Fu X, Xie FN, Dong P, Xio Rl. High-dose fluoride impairs the properties of human embryonic stem cells via JNK signaling. PLoS ONE. 11(2):e014881957. February 2016. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/293797103_High-Dose_Fluoride_Impairs_the_Properties_of_Human_Embryonic_Stem_Cells_via_JNK_Signaling?origin=publication_list
- Perkin MR, Craven J, Logan K, et al. The association between domestic water hardness, chlorine and atopic dermatitis risk in early life: A population-based cross-sectional study. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Published online April 28, 2016. http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(16)30187-7/abstract
- Jianjie C, Wenjuan X, Jinling C, et al. Fluoride caused thyroid endocrine disruption in male zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2016 Feb;171:48-58. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26748264
- Kurdi MS. Chronic fluorosis: The disease and its anaesthetic implications. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia. 2016. 60:3;157-162. http://www.ijaweb.org/article.asp?issn=0019-5049;year=2016;volume=60;issue=3;spage=157;epage=162;aulast=Kurdi
- MacArthur, JD. Pregnancy and Fluoride Do Not Mix: Prenatal Fluoride and Premature Birth, Preeclampsia, Autism. 2016. http://www.johndmacarthur.com/reports/pregnancyfluoridedonotmix.html
- Isaacson RL. My fluoride position. 2007. http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~isaacson/fluoride.html
- A Plan to Transform the Empire’s State Medicaid Program. New York State Department of Health. 2016. http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/redesign/docs/mrtfinalreport.pdf
- Fluoridation advocacy: Pew’s contributions and lessons that emerge. Children’s Dental Health Project. July 2015. https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/cdhp-fluoridation/CDHP_FlouridationAdvocacyReport_FINAL.pdf
- Brockovich E, Bowcock R, Kohn MD. Letter to the National Governors Association. April 27, 2016. http://fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/brockovich-2016.pdf
- Brockovich E, Ingram WA, Matthews DP, et al. Letter to the Institute of Medicine. April 27, 2015. https://www.aaemonline.org/pdf/LetterIOM_2015.04.27.pdf
- Young A. Letter to Nathan Deal et al. October 6, 2016. http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016andrewjyoung/10/prweb13768202.htm
- Spencer K. Letter to Salem State University. September 7, 2016. http://fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/SalemState2016.09.07.pdf